What can I expect when recovering at home after LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure)?
- Vaginal drainage or spotting is normal for one to three weeks following the procedure. The medication paste will produce a greenish-yellow discharge immediately after the procedure which may have a mild odor. A brownish-black vaginal discharge is also normal.
- Pads may be used for discharge. You should avoid placing anything in the vagina for four weeks, including tampons.
- Your menstrual cycle will not be disrupted by this procedure.
- Avoid excessive activity for 48 hours after the procedure. Refrain from exercising for at least one week. You can begin exercising again in one to two weeks. Stop exercising if bleeding other than normal menstruation occurs. If excessive bleeding occurs after you resume normal activities, call your physician.
- Abstain from sexual intercourse for four weeks.
- Showers are allowed.
How do I relieve discomfort after LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure)?
During your recovery, you may experience vaginal bleeding and mild cramping. To relieve abdominal cramping, take a non-aspirin, over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®) or acetaminophen (Tylenol®).