What procedure is used to implant a testicular prosthesis?
It should be noted that only surgeons having specialized knowledge of testicular prosthesis implantation should perform such surgeries. In general, the procedure is as follows:
- The patient is placed under either general (whole body) anesthesia or local anesthesia that will block sensation in the lower part of the body.
- The surgery may be performed on an outpatient basis or require only a brief stay in the hospital.
- An incision is usually made in the lower part of the groin or scrotum.
- A pouch will be created for the prosthesis.
- The implant is sewn or otherwise fixed into place so that it is in the correct position and will remain there.
- The incision is sewn shut.