What are the complications of ear tube surgery?
As with any type of surgery, ear tube surgery may have certain complications. These include the following:
- The hole in the eardrum doesn’t close after the tube comes out. If this happens, the hole has to be repaired with another surgery.
- Scarring of the eardrums, caused by multiple ear infections or by the ear tube surgery itself.
- Repeated ear infections, even after ear tube surgery.
- The ear tubes either fall out early, or don’t come out at all.
- A condition called otorrhea (a continuous drainage of fluid from the ear).
- The eardrum may shrink or harden after several ear tube surgeries.