What are the types of exercises I will learn in a vestibular rehabilitation program?
Examples of exercises you might learn include:
- Vision stability training
- Posture training
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Balance retraining
- Walking exercises
- Neck mobility/stretching exercises
- General fitness exercises
- Ergonomic training (This advice is given so that workplace furnishings can be adjusted to improve a person’s posture and decrease any discomforts.)
No two exercise treatment plans are exactly alike. Your exercise program is developed by identifying your deficits. For example, if your symptoms have been linked to an inner ear problem, you will also learn how to do some self-treatment exercises. Continuing an exercise plan at home can help prevent and/or treat new dizziness and balance episodes.
How long is a typical vestibular rehabilitation program?
Patients are typically seen 1 to 2 times each week for 6 to 8 weeks, but this varies based on the patient’s diagnosis, severity of symptoms, and response to therapy. Some patients may be seen for only 1 to 2 sessions; other patients may need continued treatment for a few months.