What are the benefits of hysteroscopy?
Compared with other, more invasive procedures, hysteroscopy may provide the following advantages:
- Shorter hospital stay.
- Shorter recovery time.
- Less pain medication needed after surgery.
- Avoidance of hysterectomy.
- Possible avoidance of "open" abdominal surgery.
How safe is hysteroscopy?
Hysteroscopy is a relatively safe procedure. However, as with any type of surgery, complications are possible. With hysteroscopy, complications occur in less than 1% of cases and can include:
- Risks associated with anesthesia.
- Heavy bleeding.
- Injury to the cervix, uterus, bowel or bladder.
- Intrauterine scarring.
- Reaction to the substance used to expand the uterus.