What are the causes of breast lumps?
Causes of breast lumps include:
- Changes in the breast (fibrocystic changes): Tiny, fluid-filled sacs and fibrous (rubbery) tissue feel like lumps.
- Breast cysts: Fluid-filled sacs form when fluid becomes trapped in the milk ducts. Cysts are common in younger people.
- Fibroadenomas: This benign (noncancerous) lump is the most common breast tumor. Fibroadenomas are most common during a person’s reproductive years.
- Breast infection: An infection in the breast tissue can cause a lump.
- Breast cancer: A tumor starts growing in the breast tissue.