Which symptoms of abdominal pain are cause for concern?
If your abdominal pain is severe or if it is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, contact your doctor as soon as possible:
- Nausea, fever, or the inability to keep food down for several days.
- Bloody stools.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Vomiting blood.
- The pain occurs during pregnancy.
- The abdomen is tender to the touch.
- Pain is the result of an injury to the abdomen in the previous days.
- Pain lasts for several days.
These symptoms may be an indication of an internal inflammation, infection, or bleeding that requires treatment as soon as possible. Less commonly, some of these symptoms may be caused by colorectal, ovarian, or an abdominal cancer.