Fever: When to Call the Doctor
When is a fever cause for concern?
If any of the following situations apply, call a doctor as soon as possible:
- A fever is accompanied by a stiff neck, confusion or irritability.
- Any time a child under 6 months has a fever.
- Whenever a child between the ages of 6 months and a year has a fever that lasts beyond 24 hours.
- A fever remains above 103 degrees longer than 2 hours after home treatment.
- A fever lasting longer than 2 days.
Any fever in an adult that goes above 105 degrees Fahrenheit and does not come down with treatment is a life-threatening medical emergency and 9-1-1 should be called.