Can postpartum depression be prevented?
Here are some tips that can help prevent, or help you cope with postpartum depression:
- Be realistic about your expectations for yourself and your baby.
- Limit visitors when you first go home.
- Ask for help — let others know how they can help you.
- Sleep or rest when your baby sleeps.
- Exercise — take a walk and get out of the house for a break.
- Screen your phone calls.
- Follow a sensible diet; avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Keep in touch with your family and friends — do not isolate yourself.
- Foster your relationship with your partner — make time for each other.
- Expect some good days and some bad days.