Why seek help if I have coped with depression before?
You may have recognized periods of depression in your life. Perhaps these periods lasted for several months and you learned to cope. But early treatment is important because:
- Without treatment, depression can become worse.
- Depression can lead to suicide.
- Without treatment, people who suffer from episodes of depression often do not fully recover.
- Treatment can prevent depression from coming back.
- Your depression may be the sign of another illness, which can worsen without treatment.
- Depression can increase your risk of developing other diseases, including dementia.