How can I improve my dry eyes at home?
On your own, you can take these steps to improve dry eye:
- Humidify the bedroom to at least 40 percent humidity when you are sleeping (when tear production is lowest). This can be measured with a humidity meter (hygrometer) on the nightstand. Humidity may be very low (less than 25 percent) during the winter when the heater is on, and this worsens the dry eye condition.
- You can take alpha omega fatty acids or fish oil or flaxseed oil orally (by mouth) to improve dry eye.
- Take frequent breaks when you are doing something that requires close concentration (such as using a computer or reading), and blink frequently.
- Take artificial tears frequently.
- Wear sunglasses when you are outside to protect your eyes from wind and sun.