How should I take care of myself after having pancreatitis?
You can take several steps to prevent another pancreatitis attack:
- Eat a low-fat diet.
- Stop drinking alcoholic beverages.
- Quit smoking.
- Follow your doctor’s and nutritionist’s dietary recommendations.
- Take medications as prescribed.
What should I ask my doctor?
If you have pancreatitis, you may want to ask your doctor:
- Do I have gallstones?
- Is my pancreas damaged?
- Are there any complications?
- Am I still producing insulin?
- What foods should I eat?
- What supplements should I take?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Pancreatitis is painful, but in the majority, treatments coupled with lifestyle changes can help you make a full recovery and prevent further acute pancreatitis episodes. While chronic pancreatitis doesn’t go away, you can manage the symptoms and avoid complications with help from your doctor.