How can I prevent contact dermatitis?
For allergic contact dermatitis:
- Avoid contact with substances that cause the skin rash.
- Wash any area that comes into contact with allergic substances.
- Learn to recognize poison oak and poison ivy.
For irritant contact dermatitis:
- Wear cotton gloves under rubber gloves for all wet work. Use plain petroleum jelly to protect the skin. Reapply the petroleum jelly 2 or 3 times a day and after washing your hands.
- Avoid contact with substances that irritate the skin.
- Use mild soaps.
- Use hand creams and lotions frequently.