How is anal cancer diagnosed?
These tests are some of the tests used to diagnose anal cancer:
- Patient history: This includes questions about your medical history, lifestyle, symptoms and family medical history.
- Visual exam with anoscopy: Your healthcare provider will look at the area, possibly using an instrument called an anoscope. The anoscope is made up of a tube and a light and lets the provider see into the anal canal.
- Digital rectal exam (DRE): Your provider is also likely to do a digital rectal exam. The provider, wearing gloves, will put lubricant on a finger and put it inside the anus to feel for lumps or other problems.
- Anal Papanicolau (Pap) test
- Biopsy: This test removes a small bit of abnormal tissue for testing in a lab.
- Magnetic resonance imaging