How can I prevent vaginal yeast infections?
You often can prevent vaginal yeast infections by making a few lifestyle changes. These changes can include:
- Not douching—douching can kill bacteria that actually controls fungus.
- Avoiding the use of feminine deodorants.
- Not using deodorant (scented) tampons or pads.
- Changing out of wet clothing, especially bathing suits, as soon as you can.
- Using water-based sexual lubricants.
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep your blood sugar level as close to normal as possible. Controlling your diabetes can help prevent vaginal yeast infections.
The symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection are similar to other conditions. If you have any questions, a physical exam by your healthcare provider will help.