Do I need to see a doctor if I think I have a yeast infection?

Vaginal discharges have several different causes. If you are fairly certain that you have a yeast infection, you can treat yourself. See your healthcare provider promptly if the symptoms do not improve.

Creams and suppositories can be purchased from a drugstore and used to treat the infection. It's important to follow all of the directions on the product label.

Sometimes yeast infections are treated with medicines taken by the mouth. These must be ordered by your healthcare provider.

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy