Can migraines be prevented?
There is no cure for migraine headaches. But you can take an active role in reducing how often your get migraines and how severe they are by following these tips:
- Keep a migraine diary. Make notes about any foods and other triggers that you think may have caused you to develop a migraine. Make changes in your diet and avoid known triggers as much as possible.
- Get 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night.
- Eat at regular intervals. Don't skip meals.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
- Learn techniques to control stress such as meditation, yoga, relaxation training or mindful breathing.
- Take medications as directed by your doctor.
- Talk to your doctor about hormone therapy if your migraine is thought to be linked to your menstrual cycle.
- Consider trying a transcutaneous supraorbital nerve stimulation device. This battery-powered electrical stimulator device is approved by the Food and Drug Administration to prevent migraine. The device, worn like a headband, emits electrical charges through the forehead. The charge stimulates the nerve that transmits some of the pain experienced in migraine.