What are the risk factors?
- Sex: Almost 50% of women between ages 40 and 50 have some form of varicose veins. Varicose veins are 4 times more common in women than men.
- Age: There is an increased risk of varicose veins with aging as wear and tear on the valves in the veins develops.
- Obesity: More weight on the legs leads to an increase in pressure in the veins.
- Family history: You have a greater chance of developing varicose veins if there is a family history.
- Lack of movement: Blood does not flow as well within the veins if there is a lack of physical movement.
How can I prevent varicose and spider veins?
- Avoid wearing girdles, control-top pantyhose, garters, and any other tight-fitting clothing.
- Avoid crossing your legs while seated.
- Avoid sitting or standing in one position for a long time.
- Exercise regularly to increase circulation.
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Sit or lie down and elevate your legs at least twice a day for 30 minutes at a time.