How can I know if I have nongonococcal urethritis?

If you think you have NGU, or any STI, contact your health care provider. He or she will examine you and perform tests, if necessary. A sample of fluid is taken from the penis and tested for the germs that cause gonorrhea and chlamydia. (Notably, 20% of men with gonorrhea are also infected with chlamydia.) Testing for HIV and other STIs should also be done in confirmed cases of NGU because they can be acquired at the same time, or may already be present.

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy