How can I prevent lung cancer?
There is no absolute way to prevent lung cancer. However, there are things that will lower your risk.
- Do not smoke. If you do smoke, quit. Avoid breathing in smoke from people who do smoke.
- Reduce your exposure to chemicals known to cause cancer, such as:
- Substances containing nickel or chromium
- Coal products
- Air pollution, such as exhaust from diesel engines
- Radon. Have your home tested for radon, a radioactive gas that has no color or odor.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.