How can fungal rashes be prevented from occurring or recurring?
- Avoid using heavily perfumed soap, which can be irritating to the skin.
- After bathing, dry the skin well with a soft cloth.
- If incontinence briefs are used, do not purchase the briefs with plastic liners. These products retain moisture. Also, leave the briefs open as much as possible. This will allow air to reach the rash and help to dry it out.
- If there are skin folds (two skin surfaces that touch each other) in the area of the rash, place a soft cloth or cotton pad between the folds to prevent moisture from accumulating in the area, which decreases the chance of skin infections developing.
- Once the rash is healed, use a barrier cream (eg, products containing petrolatum, dimethicone, and zinc oxide) to prevent the rash from recurring.
- Drink plenty of liquids to help keep skin supple.