How can I protect myself from herpes?
- Do not have sex with someone who has an open sore on his or her sex organs.
- Always use a latex condom during sex.
- Limit your number of sex partners.
How can I prevent spreading herpes?
Herpes can be spread even when there are no symptoms. To prevent spreading the virus:
- Use a condom when you have sex. (Using a condom will not always prevent the spread of herpes because some sores may be in a place that cannot be covered by a condom.)
- Don't have sex when sores are present.