How is constipation treated?
- Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day.
- Try warm liquids, especially in the morning.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Eat prunes and/or bran cereal.
- Add supplemental fiber to your diet (there are several types, such as Metamucil, Citrucel, and Benefiber).
- If needed, use a very mild stool softener or laxative (such as colace [docusate] or Milk of Magnesia). Do not use laxatives for more than two weeks without calling your healthcare provider, as laxative overuse can aggravate your symptoms.