How can carpal tunnel syndrome be prevented?
Because of its many causes, carpal tunnel syndrome is difficult to prevent. Workstation changes, such as proper lighting and seating and hand/wrist placement, can help decrease some factors that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. Other preventive methods include:
- Sleep with your wrists held straight.
- Keep your wrists straight when using tools.
- Avoid flexing (curling) and extending your wrists repeatedly.
- Decrease repetitive/strong grasping with the wrist in a flexed position.
- Take frequent rest breaks from repetitive activities.
- Perform conditioning and stretching exercises before and after activities.
- Monitor and properly treat medical conditions linked to carpal tunnel syndrome.