How can carpal tunnel syndrome be prevented?
Because of its many causes, carpal tunnel syndrome is difficult to prevent. Workstation changes, such as proper lighting and seating and hand/wrist placement, can help decrease some factors that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. Other preventive methods include:
- Sleeping with your wrists held straight.
- Keeping your wrists straight when using tools.
- Avoiding flexing (curling) and extending your wrists repeatedly.
- Decreasing repetitive/strong grasping with the wrist in a flexed position.
- Taking frequent rest breaks from repetitive activities.
- Performing conditioning and stretching exercises before and after activities.