Can iron-deficiency anemia be treated?
Yes. This type of anemia can be treated and cured. First, your healthcare provider will determine if the anemia is being caused by a poor diet or a more serious health problem. Then, you can be treated for both the anemia and its cause. Iron-deficiency anemia is treated with:
- Iron supplements taken by the mouth
- Foods high in iron
- Iron given through an intravenous (IV) infusion
How do I manage anemia?
While some types of anemia are short-term and mild, others can last throughout a lifetime. There are several ways to help manage anemia, including:
- Following a healthy diet
- Exercising regularly
- Avoiding exposure to chemicals that set off anemia
- Washing your hands often to avoid infection
- Talking to your doctor about any changing symptoms