How is chemo brain managed or treated?
Doctors do not have a standard treatment for chemo brain. Cognitive rehabilitation programs can be helpful. Some medications have been tested for treating chemo brain but results are varied. These agents include gingko biloba, modafinil, methaphenidate, antidepressants, and donepezil combined with vitamin E.
Many cases of chemo brain are temporary. They go away on their own. However, other cases last for longer periods of time.
What can you do at home to manage chemo brain?
Tracking memory problems in a diary can help you spot potential causes or triggers. This record can also help you schedule important tasks to avoid the most likely issues.
Other steps you can take to cope with chemo brain include:
- Avoiding multitasking
- Creating daily routines that are easy to follow
- Eating healthy foods including vegetables
- Exercising regularly
- Getting plenty of rest and sleep
- Keeping detailed notes and reminders in a daily planner
- Stimulating your brain with puzzles or learning something new
- Getting support through counseling and/or groups