How is anal pain treated?
Treatment for anal pain depends on the cause, and includes:
- Medicines such as pain relievers, stool softeners and antibiotics (if there is an infection)
- A high-fiber diet to help ensure soft bowel movements
- Sitz baths with warm water to clean the anal area and relieve pain
- Surgery for muscle spasms and to repair fistulas
Other methods that may help manage the pain include the following:
- To protect the skin, avoid wiping too vigorously after a bowel movement.
- Don’t use perfumed soaps or scented detergents. These may irritate the skin.
- Don’t wear tight clothing so that the anal area can “breathe.”
- To help prevent hemorrhoids, try not to sit for too long.