How can you prevent acute flaccid myelitis (AFM)?
To prevent AFM, doctors recommend that you:
- Get your vaccines on schedule, especially the polio vaccine.
- Try to stay away from mosquitoes that can transmit viruses by not going outside when they are biting (dusk and dawn). Use products that repel mosquitoes, and do not allow water to collect near your home.
- Follow good hand washing practices—using soap and water and washing frequently—is good advice to prevent illness in general. Also, wash your hands before and after eating; after using the bathroom or touching an animal; before and after taking care of someone who is sick or has a cut.
- Avoid being around people who are sick if you can.
- Do not share eating utensils or cups, straws, or cigarettes.
- Use disinfectant to clean hard surfaces.