Can preeclampsia be prevented?
For patients with risk factors, there are some steps that can be taken prior to and during pregnancy to lower their chances of developing preeclampsia. These steps can include:
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Not smoking (smoking is never recommended during pregnancy)
- Getting your blood pressure under control, if you have chronic hypertension
- Maintaining a regular exercise routine
- Taking a baby aspirin (81 mg) daily after 12 weeks gestation in high-risk pregnancies