When should I call my doctor?

Contact your doctor if one or both of your breasts unexpectedly begin producing milk.

What questions should I ask my doctor?

If you have galactorrhea, you may want to ask your doctor:

  • What is causing my breasts to discharge?
  • What lifestyle changes can I make to stop it from occurring?
  • If I have a tumor, how likely is it that I have cancer?
  • If a tumor is causing galactorrhea, what are my treatment options?

When can I go back to my regular activities?

Most people with galactorrhea do not have to stop their regular activities. Some people use breast pads (absorbent liners placed in the bra or with adhesive) to contain milk leakage under their clothes.

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy