Can dumping syndrome be prevented?
Currently, there is no way to prevent dumping syndrome after gastric surgery. Not all people who have gastric surgery will develop dumping syndrome.
Dietary changes may prevent or reduce dumping syndrome symptoms. These changes include:
- Increasing the amount of protein and fiber in your diet
- Eating 5 to 6 small meals each day
- Avoiding drinking fluids until after meals
- Avoiding simple sugars, like table sugar, in foods and beverages
- Increasing the thickness of foods or beverages