Can botulism be prevented?
Yes, you can take steps to help prevent the most common types of botulism.
- Refrigerate foods within 2 hours after cooking. Proper refrigeration prevents the bacteria from producing spores.
- Cook food thoroughly.
- Avoid food containers that appear damaged or bulging. (These can be signs of gas produced by the bacteria.)
Infant botulism: Do not give honey to babies under 1 year old.
- Do not abuse injectable drugs.
- Seek medical treatment for a wound with signs of infection including redness, tenderness, swelling or pus
- Clean wounds contaminated by dirt and soil thoroughly.