How are frequent bowel movements diagnosed?
In cases in which a cause for frequent bowel movements is not known, the doctor will ask you the following:
- The time of your last bowel movement
- How often you urinate
- The consistency of stool (watery or shaped)
- If there is blood around or in the stool
- If you have bleeding from the rectum
- If you are dizzy or have cramps, pain, fever or nausea
- What foods and drinks you consume
- If you have had any recent changes in your weight
- The medications you take
- If and when you have traveled recently
The doctor will conduct a physical examination and may order blood and stool tests, urinalysis and X-rays.