Can typhoid fever be prevented?
If you are traveling outside the U.S., you can lower your risk of contracting the disease by:
- Receiving a typhoid fever vaccination. Currently, two vaccines are available to help prevent the spread of typhoid fever. Talk with your doctor about getting vaccinated.
- Avoiding food that is raw or undercooked
- Drinking only bottled water or water that has been boiled
- Thoroughly washing your hands each time before eating
- Avoiding raw fruits and vegetables that cannot be peeled.
- Avoiding eating foods and beverages purchased from street vendors.