Can dust mite allergies be prevented?
Dust mites cannot be completely eliminated from your home. However, they can be reduced. Reducing dust mites in your house can eliminate or lessen dust mite allergies.
How can dust mites be reduced?
The following practices can help reduce dust mites in your home:
- Remove fabric curtains, carpeting and upholstered furniture in bedrooms – anything that can store dust mites.
- Only use a damp mop or rag to remove dust. Dry cloths stir up mite allergens.
- When vacuuming, use a double-layered microfilter bag or a HEPA filter to trap allergens. Wear a mask while vacuuming, as allergies often worsen after vacuuming when dust is stirred up.
- Use a HEPA filter on your furnace.
- Maintain humidity of 50% or below through the use of a dehumidifier or air conditioner
- Use dust proof mattress and pillow covers.
- Wash bedding and blankets in water over 130 degrees at least once a week.
- Freeze fabrics overnight that cannot be washed.
- Use synthetic bedding instead or organic wool and feathered materials.
- Wash stuffed animals and other fabric toys and decorations that hold dust regularly.