How are pet allergies treated?
The best way to avoid pet allergies is to avoid animals that trigger allergic reactions. These animals may include cats, dogs and small mammals, like rabbits.
If avoiding animals is not possible, you can take steps to prevent or reduce the severity of your symptoms by:
- Avoiding hugging, petting or kissing animals
- Having someone with no pet allergies brush the pet outdoors frequently
- Using a microfilter vacuum bag and HEPA air filters to remove as many pet allergens as possible from the home
- Removing rugs and carpets that can trap pet allergens
- Keeping pets out of your bedroom and off upholstered furniture
Your doctor may recommend certain medications, like nasal steroids and antihistamines, to help control pet allergy symptoms and lessen your allergic reaction.
In severe cases, it may be necessary to rehome an animal.