How do I prevent chronic sinusitis?
You may be able to prevent infections and chronic sinusitis if you:
- Treat the underlying conditions behind chronic sinusitis, like asthma and allergies.
- Avoid allergens such as animal dander, dust, pollen, smoke and mold that trigger swelling in the sinuses.
- Quit smoking if you do smoke and avoid any secondhand smoke.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Rinse your nasal passages with saline solution, either purchased or with a neti pot. (This is a small item that is filled with sterile water and salt. You pour, or gently squeeze, the water into one side of your nose and it comes out the other.)
- Eat healthy foods, stay hydrated and exercise regularly to stay healthy overall.
- Use a humidifier to keep nasal tissues moist.