How is cellulite treated?
No treatments, medicines or creams can make cellulite go away. Cosmetic surgeons use a variety of treatments to temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite. These treatments include:
- Deep massaging to puff up the skin
- Acoustic wave therapy to break up cellulite with sound waves
- Laser treatment to help thicken the skin
- Liposuction to remove fat. However, it is deep fat, not necessarily cellulite.
- Mesotherapy, in which drugs are injected into the cellulite
- Subcision, in which a needle inserted under the skin breaks up tough bands causing cellulite
- Creams and lotions containing caffeine or 0.3% retinol
- Spa treatments, which can temporarily make cellulite less noticeable
- Vacuum-assisted precise tissue release to cut tissue and fill out dimpled skin
- Radiofrequency, ultrasound, infrared light, or radial pulses to heat skin
How is cellulite managed?
Cellulite may be managed by the following:
- Reducing excess body fat through a well-balanced diet and exercise
- Self-tanning products to help hide cellulite, since it is less noticeable on darker skin
- Taking supplements that contain caffeine, grape seed extract or gingko biloba