When is it necessary to call a doctor about hearing loss?

There are two healthcare professionals that can help you with your hearing. You can talk with a physician specializing in the medical and surgical management of hearing loss called an otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat, ENT) doctor. If you experience a sudden hearing loss, or sudden deafness, call an otolaryngologist right away as this is considered a. medical emergency. An audiologist is the hearing healthcare professional who will conduct the hearing examination and will provide rehabilitative services (such as fitting hearing aids). Typically, an ENT and audiologist work together to provide you with optimal hearing healthcare.

What tests are done for hearing loss?

A hearing test should be conducted to determine the type and severity of hearing loss. This test, includes an audiogram, which is a written record of your hearing levels at different pitches important to understanding speech sounds.

Over time, a series of these tests can track changes in your hearing. These tests:

  • Measure reductions in hearing ability
  • Identify conductive, sensorineural, or mixed hearing problems
  • Monitor success at maintaining hearing
  • Track changes in hearing due to advancing hearing loss

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy