How do I treat hiccups?
Because the exact cause of hiccups is uncertain, there are many remedies that may or may not work. These home treatments will not hurt you, so there is typically no harm in trying them.
Home treatments include:
- Drinking water quickly
- Swallowing granulated sugar, dry pieces of bread, or crushed ice
- Gently pulling on the tongue
- Gagging (stick a finger down the throat)
- Gently rubbing your eyeballs
- Gargling water
- Holding your breath
- Breathing into a paper bag (do not use a plastic bag)
Are there any medications I can take for serious hiccups?
Hiccups that last for a long time can be treated by medication. Drugs used for long-lasting hiccups include:
What are the side effects of long-term hiccups?
- Trouble eating
- Trouble sleeping and feeling tired