How is dysarthria managed and treated?
Treatment of dysarthria depends on the symptoms and how severe they are. Speech therapy can be used to try to improve the patient’s ability to communicate. Speech therapy can help with:
- Strengthening the affected muscles
- Speaking slowly
- Safe chewing and swallowing
- Helping the patient and family learn strategies for better communication with each other
- Learning different communication techniques, if necessary
Tips for speaking with dysarthria include the following:
- Speak slowly.
- Avoid conversations when you are tired.
- Pause frequently.
- Use shorter sentences.
- Check to see that your listeners show understanding.