Protecting your valve from further damage
All patients with heart valve disease should talk to their doctor about the increased risk of getting infective endocarditis. This infection can greatly damage or destroy the heart valves, and can be fatal. You are at risk even if your valve has been repaired or replaced during surgery. To prevent infective endocarditis:
- Tell your doctors and dentist that you have valve disease.
- Call your doctor if you have symptoms of an infection.
- Take good care of your teeth and gums.
- Take antibiotics before any dental procedures, major or minor surgeries, or invasive tests.
- Learn more about protection from infection.