What can I do to prevent palpitations?
To help lessen heart palpitations:
- Decrease your stress level (Learn biofeedback, deep breathing and/or relaxation exercises such as yoga, tai chi, or guided imagery)
- Limit alcohol
- Limit caffeinated beverages
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products
- Exercise on a regular basis (Ask your doctor what exercise program is right for you)
- Avoid certain activities that appear to be associated with palpitations
- Avoid certain medications that act as stimulants, such as cough and cold medicines, and some herbal or nutritional supplements
- Make sure your blood pressure and cholesterol are well controlled
- Try not to pay attention to your heart palpitations once any serious causes have been ruled out
To help your doctor diagnose your condition, keep track of your heart palpitations. Note when they happen, how long they last, how you are feeling when they occur, and if you are doing an activity when they occur. Share this information with your doctor. If you notice a sudden increase in the palpitations or any type of change in them, call your doctor. Keep all scheduled follow-up visits with your doctor so your condition can be monitored.