How do you prevent alcohol poisoning?
To prevent alcohol poisoning, limit your alcohol consumption. You need to know when enough is enough. If you or a friend are drinking, pay attention to how much you consume and how quickly. If a friend appears to be drinking too much too fast, try to intervene and limit how much more they have. Moderation is always important. Drink no more than one alcoholic beverage an hour.
Additionally, you can prevent alcohol poisoning by:
- Avoid drinking games: Games can put pressure on participants to binge drink.
- Stay hydrated: Drink water after every alcoholic beverage.
- Don’t mix alcohol and medicine: Never drink alcohol while taking prescription medications.
- Eat first: Don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Stay alert: Avoid a drink if you don’t know its contents or if it’s mixed with energy drinks.
Call for help if you suspect someone has a drinking problem. The National Treatment Referral Routing Service is 1.800.662.HELP (4357).