What can happen from alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is serious. Someone who has too much alcohol to the point of an overdose can have:

  • Blackouts or amnesia.
  • Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can cause seizures.
  • Hypothermia (low body temperature).
  • Irregular or stopped heartbeat.
  • Loss of consciousness, which could quickly lead to death.
  • Severe vomiting, which can lead to dehydration, seizures, permanent brain damage or death.

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy