How can heat illness be prevented?
- Drink water every 15 minutes when working or exercising in a hot environment, even if you are not thirsty. If you need to be out in extreme heat (heat index over 103°F), drink a total of 2 to 4 cups (16 to 32 ounces) of water each hour.
- Take periodic rest breaks in the shade, cool area, or air-conditioned space.
- When working or exercising outside in hot humid weather, wear a hat and loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Do not drink alcohol or caffeine-containing beverages.
- Avoid going outdoors for activities or exercise if possible when the temperature and humidity are high.