How can uric acid stones be prevented?
You can help to prevent uric acid stones if you do the following:
- Drink at least three quarts (12 cups) of fluids daily; water is best.
- Decrease intake of red meats and shellfish, replacing them with more fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Achieve or maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid crash dieting, which increases uric acid levels in the blood.
- Follow the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet, which has been shown to reduce not only high blood pressure but also the risk of kidney stones.
Many patients may also need to take prescribed medications to prevent uric acid stones and keep them from coming back.