What can be expected after treatment for adult hydrocele?
- Following surgery there will likely be pain in the area of the scrotum. Over-the-counter pain relievers or prescribed pain medications can help to ease the pain.
- Ice packs are applied for the first 24 hours.
- Activity levels may be restricted for a number of weeks until healing is complete.
- A jockstrap is worn for about 2-4 weeks following surgery in order to keep the scrotum elevated towards the testicles.
- It might take 2-3 months for the swelling of the operated scrotum to go down completely.
It is possible that a hydrocele may return, even after surgery.
What are possible complications of adult hydrocele?
A hydrocele is normally not dangerous unless it becomes extremely large or the hydrocele fluid becomes infected. A hydrocele does not affect a man’s ability to father children.