How is adult hydrocele diagnosed?
A doctor can diagnose a hydrocele through a combination of tests and observations, including:
- Health history of the patient.
- Physical exam.
- An imaging test such as an ultrasound.
- Checking for tenderness in the scrotum.
- Testing to see how the bulge in the groin area changes under pressure when the patient is asked to cough.
- Shining a light through the scrotum, highlighting any collection of fluid in that area.
- Blood or urine tests to check for underlying infection.