How is fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) treated?
The effects of FAS last a lifetime. However, early treatment can improve a child’s development. Treatment options include:
- Medications to treat some symptoms.
- Behavior and education therapy.
- Parental training.
There are also certain “protective factors” that help reduce the negative impact of FAS on a child:
- Diagnosis before the age of 6.
- A loving, supportive, stable home environment during the school years.
- Absence of violence in the child’s life.
- Use of special education and social services.